NHL Betting at Indiana Online Sportsbooks
Indiana doesn’t have an NHL team of its own but that doesn’t mean hockey is an afterthought. Dedicated hockey fans in the state bet on plenty of nearby teams like the Chicago Blackhawks, Columbus Blue Jackets and St. Louis Blues.
Hockey fans are wildly dedicated to their sport and teams. Gamblers love the everyday aspect of hockey and the unpredictable results that make the process exciting.
Whether you want to bet on each NHL game individually or make some bets in the futures market, both are available at Indiana online sportsbooks.
Before you jump in, hockey betting has some intricacies to learn. We’ll show you how to navigate the ins and outs on this page. We also have live NHL game lines & futures odds from Indiana sportsbooks, explain the differences between betting the puck line, moneyline and more.
Best IN Sportsbooks for NHL Betting
Daily NHL odds at Indiana online sportsbooks
The NHL serves up game action almost every night, which makes it a great sport to bet on. Check out the latest moneylines, puck lines, and over/under odds at IN online sportsbooks on every NHL game in our feed below. These are real-time odds for Indiana sportsbooks. Click any of the listed NHL odds below to place your bets after you register a new account and take advantage of a sign-up bonus.
If you prefer to bet a team to win the Stanley Cup, check the second tab below for the full NHL futures board which includes Stanley Cup, Conference, and Division bets as well as individual awards.
Best available Blackhawks odds
Find the best available NHL betting odds from Indiana online sportsbooks for the next Blackhawks game below:
Best available Blue Jackets odds
Get the best available odds for the next Blue Jackets game below:
Best available Blues odds
Find the best available odds for the next Blues game below:
Vegas NHL odds vs. Indiana sportsbooks odds
Sports betting has been exclusive to the Las Vegas market for most of recent history. Only just recently have states across the country began to legalize betting on sporting events.
Vegas sets their odds for games based on computer models and analytics. They trust their system to set a line that creates balanced action on both sides. Vegas has proven over the years to be extremely accurate when it comes to predicting the outcomes of games.
For this reason, online sportsbooks in Indiana use similar models to set their lines. This results in almost identical lines in Indiana as they are in Vegas. Some sportsbooks will slightly alter their lines based on liability and betting trends, but for the most part, they will be the same.
How to bet on NHL online in Indiana
Betting in Indiana is now legal and it’s never been simpler to get in on the sports betting action. It doesn’t matter whether you’re on your computer at home or on your phone on the go, the process is easy and quick.
First, scroll through the offers on this page. There are great promotions and sign up bonuses available. Once you find one to your liking, click the link to claim your free cash. To claim your bonus, you’ll need to register for an account. Fill in the necessary details with secure but easy to remember information.
Once you’ve registered an account, it’s best to download the app onto your phone. The app is a clean way to follow the odds and track your bets when you’re on the move. You can use it to bet anywhere within state lines.
After you’ve claimed your bonus, registered an account, and downloaded the app, simply add any funds you need into your account and you’re ready to bet!
NHL live betting
One fun and exciting way to bet on hockey is to bet on the games through live betting after they’ve already started. The odds will be up to date based on what has already happened in the game up until that point.
The simplest way to live bet is through an app. Above, we mentioned how to get set up with an app on your smartphone. To use the app, you need to be in the state of Indiana. You can download the app from out of state, but you won’t be able to place your bets unless you’re in the state at the time of the bet.
Conversely, you don’t need to be a resident of Indiana to bet when you’re within state lines. As long as you’re in the area, you can bet through an app.
How to read NHL betting lines
Below, you’ll find an example of a typical betting line for an NHL game:
|Chicago Blackhawks||+125||+1.5 (-185)||Over 5.5 (-110)|
|Columbus Blue Jackets||-145||-1.5 (+165)||Under 5.5 (-110)|
- Moneyline: When betting the moneyline in hockey, you're simply betting on which team you think will win the game. Regulation time, overtime, or shootout; it doesn’t matter. The odds are set based on the probability of each team winning. In the above example, a $100 bet on the Blackhawks nets you a profit of $125. To win $100 on the Blue Jackets, you’d need to bet $145.
- Puckline: The puck-line is hockey’s version of spread betting. Unlike football or basketball where the spreads vary greatly based on the teams’ talent levels, the hockey puck-line is universally set at 1.5. This is because hockey is a lower scoring sport with more variance. Puck-line betting is similar to run-line betting in baseball in that regard. Often, the favored team will be a plus-money underdog to cover the puck-line.
- Total: Just like other sports, you can bet the over or under on the total. Hockey totals are most often set at 5.5 goals, but sometimes you’ll see totals set at 6 or 6.5. Overtime goals count towards the total. If the game goes to a shootout, the winning team will have one goal added to their final total. However, individual shootout goals do not count toward the total.
What is the best hockey bet?
The best hockey bet varies on the game you are betting on. If you are betting on a game with two teams similar in talent-level, the odds will likely reflect that. In those scenarios, betting on the moneyline is the most stress-free and simple way to attack the game. You simply need to root for your team to win and don’t have to worry about anything else.
However, if you are betting on a good team to win against a bad team, the odds will probably be hard to swallow. A general rule of thumb is to not bet hockey favorites that are bigger than -160. It’s a sport with a lot of variances, and bad teams beat good teams every night. You can blow through your bankroll quickly if you are laying a lot of juice on big favorites. In these scenarios, you should look towards betting the puck-line. The odds will be better but you’d have to root for your team to not just win, but win by multiple goals.
NHL betting tips for beginners
Hockey is similar to baseball and basketball in that the regular season is a grind. If you’re not paying close attention, you can miss small things that make a big impact on day-to-day results. Here are some tips to help you before you bet
- Look at teams’ schedules. In hockey, a lot of teams play on back-to-back nights. Statistically, teams do not perform as well on the 2nd half of a back-to-back as they do when they are rested. This also applies to extended stretches like three games in four nights. If a team is at the end of a long road trip, they might be exhausted and ready to just get home. Schedules are also important in deciding when back-up goalies will play. The difference between some team’s starting goalies and their backups is huge.
- Follow the underlying statistics and realize hockey is a sport with a lot of day-to-day variances but over time, things will stabilize. If a team’s shooting percentage is near 15%, realize that it will come down and stabilize under 10%. If a team’s save percentage is above 95%, realize that also will come down to the 91-92% range. If a team is doing well in the possession metrics but struggling to get results, they will likely start getting better results over time.
- Don’t be afraid to bet against the elite teams and on bad teams. This is not football where the great teams will win almost every week and the bad teams will lose almost every week. In a normal season, even the worst teams win 30 games a year. Even the best teams will lose nearly 30 games every year. If you’re constantly laying heavy juice on the elite teams, you might have a winning record, but you’ll be down money.
NHL hockey betting rules
Hockey betting is pretty straight forward, but there are some rules to be aware of. Continuing in 2021-22, there may be postponements and cancellations. If a game does not happen on the listed day, sportsbooks will refund all wagers and grade them as no action.
Player props will be deemed actionable as long as the player plays in the game. If the player misses a game, any prop bets made on them will be refunded.
Overtime counts towards all wagers unless the wager was made in the âRegulation Time Onlyâ market. Moneyline bets will be graded as wins if the team wins in overtime. Goals scored in overtime count towards the game total as well as team totals.
Shootout goals do not count towards players’ stats. Individual shootout goals do not count towards the total, but the winner of the shootout is awarded a goal that counts towards the total.
NHL power rankings
Here’s a list of NHL preseason power rankings based on their odds to win the Stanley Cup.
- Colorado Avalanche
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Vegas Golden Knights
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Boston Bruins
- Florida Panthers
- New York Islanders
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- New York Rangers
- Edmonton Oilers
- Minnesota Wild
- Washington Capitals
- Dallas Stars
- Philadelphia Flyers
- St. Louis Blues
- Winnipeg Jets
- Montreal Canadiens
- Calgary Flames
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Seattle Kraken
- Vancouver Canucks
- Los Angeles Kings
- New Jersey Devils
- San Jose Sharks
- Nashville Predators
- Ottawa Senators
- Anaheim Ducks
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Detroit Red Wings
- Arizona Coyotes
- Buffalo Sabres
Check the current NHL Power Rankings on NHL.com.